The 六榕寺 Liurongsi,Six Banyan Temple was founded in 537.
The six banyan trees which once graced the temple compound were
named 不死樹 Busishu, No Death Trees, and were worshiped for
long life. Origionally the temple name was named 寶莊嚴寺 Bao Zhuangyansi,
Stately Treasure Temple. The name was changed to 六榕寺 in 1100,
after the visit of 蘇東波 Su Dongpo. Dongpo brushed the large
characters "六榕" which today can be seen incribed on the stone stele
inside the gate.