Wudangzhao was built in 1749 and lies 70 km to the northeast of Baotou City. Wudang means willow tree in Mongolian. It is a large monastery and contains six temple hars, three mansions for Living Buddhas. Constructed on mountain slopes, terrace above terrace, the main lamasery overlooks clusters of small lamaseries at the foot of the mountain. Built during the reign of Emperor Kangxi in the Qing dynasty it belongs to the Yellow Sect (Gelugpa). Resembling Tashilhunpo Monastery in Shigatse, Tibet, the monastery used to be the residence of the highest lama in Inner Mongolia.|
In its prime Wudangzhao had over 1,200 resident monks, but these numbers have dwindled down to but a few, leaving the 2,500 room complex inactive filled mainly by tourists. a sad place today, August 7, 2006. No incense burns in any of the halls and the 'monks' who clip tickets before each palace and temple, are wearing trousers and street shoes under their robes. They do not appear to be real monks but rather workers engaged in the tourist business. Only one family of older Mongolians was making the rounds today and bowing before the dead shell of Buddhism. Perhaps it is just an off day, but this temple complex seems to have become little more than a museam to Buddhism.
The mansions of the Living Buddhas are empty shrines and the Living Buddhas are no where to be found...