Zojoji, San'en-zan Zojoji (三縁山増上寺) is a major Buddhist temple in the Shiba Daimon neighborhood of Tokyo. It is the Main Temple of the Jodoshu, Pure Land Buddhism in Japan. The main image is of Amida Buddha. The founder of Zōjōji was Yūyo Shōsō (酉誉聖聡), a disciple of Honen 1133-1212, the founder of this sect.|
Shūei (宗叡, 809-884), a disciple of Kukai, founded a temple named Kōmyōji (光明寺) at Kaizuka (貝塚, present-day Kojimachi in Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo); it is said to be the forerunner of Zojoji. Centuries later, in 1393 during the Muromachi period, at the time of Yūyo Shōsō, the temple converted from the Shingon to the Jodo sect. Shōsō is thus the founder of the present-day temple. 1133-1212
During the Edo period, Zojoji served as the family temple of the Tokugawa Shoguns. Tokugawa Ieyasu moved the temple, first to Hibiya, then in 1598, at the time of expansion of Edo Castle, to its present location. With the fall of the Tokugawa shogunate, the grounds became a public park. The temple was badly damaged in World War II, but was gracefully rebuilt after 1945. The place name Daimon (大門 "Great Gate") refers to the gate of Zojoji.
Sangedatsu Gate (三解脱門 Sangedatsu Mon), 1622, is the only structure to survive the war "San" (三) means "three", and "Gedatsu" (解脱) means "Moksha". When a person enters the gate, he or she should leave behind from three passions, 貪 Ton; "greed", 瞋 Shin; "hatred", 癡 Chi; "stupidness".
Closest subway stations are Onarimon or Shibakoen Station on the Mita Line and Daimon Station on the Oedo Line. Zojoji is also a 5-10 minute walk from Hamamatsucho Station on the JR Yamanote and JR Keihin-Tohoku Line.
(Pure Land Buddhism (Chinese: 净土宗, Jìngtǔzōng; Japanese: 浄土宗, Jōdoshū; Korean: Jeongtojong; Vietnamese: 浄土宗, Tịnh Do Tông)