One of the finest translator-poets!!|
David Hinton's many translations of ancient Chinese poetry* have earned wide acclaim for creating compelling contemporary poetry. He is also the first translator in more than a century to translate the four original masterworks of Chinese philosophy; Dao De Jing, Zhuangzi, Analects, Mencius. He has been awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship as well as numerous fellowships from the National Endowment of the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities. In 1997 he received the Landon Translation award from the Academy of American Poets.
Below is a list of David's work that should be on the 'must buy' list of anyone interested in Chinese poetry!
* Mountain Home, The Wilderness Poetry of China, Counterpoint Press
* The Late Poems of Meng Jiao, Princeton University Press
* The Mountain Poems of Meng Hao-jen, Archipelago Books
* The Selected Poems of Po Chu-i (Bai Juyi)
* The Mountain Poems of Hsieh Ling-yun (Xie Lingyun)
* The Selected Poems of Li Po (Li Bai)
* The Selected Poems of T'ao Chien (Tao Qian)
* The Selected Poems od Tu Fu (Du Fu)
* Fossil Sky